Other Requirements

Other Requirements

Illinois has an invaluable webpage dedicated to connecting businesses to agencies that businesses may or are required to register with to operate in Illinois. Illinois' business hub is located at https://www2.illinois.gov/business/registration-licenses-permits

Your business may be required to obtain certifications, licenses, or permits. Federal, state, and local governmental agencies have different rules.

Other agencies that your business may need to register with include, but are not limited to:

  1. Illinois Environmental Protection Agency (IEPA)
  2. Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH)
  3. Illinois Department of Agriculture (IDOA)
  4. Illinois Liquor Control Commission (ILCC)
  5. Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT)
  6. Illinois Commerce Commission (ICC)

Practice Pointer:

I highly recommended that you do as much research as you can – either on your own or with the help of a professional – on what requirements may apply to your business. It is helpful to do this research both at the start of your business and throughout the life cycle of the business. There may be fines or fees imposed due to a failure to obtain these permissions, and it is better to know this sooner rather than later.

Also keep in mind that some registrations or filing requirements may not apply to your business in its early stages but will apply later on. For example, the Environmental Protection Agency has monthly filing and waste disposal requirements that do not apply to businesses unless the waste (such as tires, batteries, or other items) produced by the business equals or exceeds a certain amount per month. So, while a small business may not need to submit monthly filings or follow special waste disposal rules when it first starts out, it will be required to later on as the business grows.

Initial Consultations

The Law Office of Rachael J. Leah, LLC offers a no-obligation 60-minute initial consultation for just $25. For more information, visit the "About My Firm" page on the website.

Contact My Office

Telephone: (630) 696-2442
Or you can send me a message using the “Contact My Office” form on the website.